INFRASTRUCTURE AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT
An assessment of all ongoing and abandoned State Government projects will be conducted to determine the extent of government investment in the sector, identify projects that have been abandoned with the aim of completing all ongoing and abandoned projects. New projects award under my administration will be complementary to existing projects to ensure the integration of major towns, villages and local government headquarters to Uyo through our ONE Akwa Ibom initiative, an ambitious programme to link all local government headquarters by dualized motorways.
For quick impact in the first 100 -180 days in office, my administration will
- Initiate an audit of on-going key infrastructure projects to determine their respective status
- Resume work on the Uyo- Ikot Ekpene Road
- Start the process of putting the Four Points by Sheraton to use
- Resume work on Ibom Tropicana Entertainment Complex
- Commence work on the Third Ring Road, Uyo.
- Commence the review and implementation of the Ibom Science Park project
On the longer term, particular attention will be paid to the following Infrastructure projects;
- Collaborate with the Federal Government on the proposed construction and dualization of the Abak – Ekparakwa – Ette and Ekparakwa-Ukanafun-Iwukem-Agbor Hill Trunk A Roads.
- Collaborate with the Federal Government on the proposed construction of the Ikot Ekpene -Aba Road.
- Proceed with the immediate commencement of work on the Third Ring Road in Uyo.
- Fast track the Urban renewal of two towns in each Senatorial District
- Open the access road to the Ibom Deep Seaport.
- Renew the Port City of Oron to boost its status as a historic centre of learning, commercial and cultural excellence.
- The eight local government areas of Ukanafun, Ini, Ika, Oruk Anam, Mkpat Enin, Ibesikpo Asutan, Ibiono and Ikono will be declared Special Development Areas that require special infrastructure interventions.
The Ibom Deep Seaport:
My government will support the delivery of the project and further engage the private sector with similar projects to ensure they are actualized.
The Ibom Science and Technology Park:
My vision is to review and complete this project and make it a major technology hub with focus on ICT – based businesses, business process outsourcing, technology innovation, coding, and STEAM activities. We will deepen the collaboration (which I midwifed during my time at the NDDC) with Microsoft and Google to provide affordable and cheap broadband connectivity for the State.
The Power Sector:
My goal for the power sector is to achieve:
- 70 percent grid connection
- Strategic interventions in transmission and distribution Infrastructure to ensure state wide uninterrupted power supply. .
- Deploy alternative and renewable energy sources to communities that are off-grid to Power-Up Akwa Ibom.
- Strengthen the capacity of the Rural Electrification Agency.
Victor Attah International Airport:
The State will partner the Federal Government to complete and operationalize the Ibom Maintenance Repair and Overhaul (MRO) facility. Similarly, work will commence on the Cargo Terminal along with the establishment of the Victor Attah Airport Industrial City to support light manufacturing. We will explore the possibility of acquiring equity stake in an airline with a strong brand name and reputational capital.
Some of the initiatives to be implemented in the 31 LGAs under our comprehensive Rural Transformation Initiative include:
- The completion of a comprehensive rural electrification programme to achieve at least 50 percent coverage of grid connection.
- Develop with subsidized power Centres for Non-Farmactivities such as welding, tailoring, hair dressing, etc. open up rural roads to assist farmers in the evacuation of farm products and development of non-farm rural activities;
- the adoption of a policy to tar two (2) rural roads linking communities to their LGA headquarters;
- the development of mini water schemes, in partnership with local government councils, through the comprehensive mapping of the state to determine areas of needs and locations;